Monday, 17 March 2014

Clean ALL the things! (With just one make-it-yourself, environmentally friendly cleaner)

So I know that I haven't posted in ages- I do apologize.

I spent two weeks in Indonesia on a buying trip for the shop.

I went through some less-than-pleasant medical things.

I've been so busy with planning the wedding.

But now that the sun is out and I have more energy, I am going to try really hard to be back!

I'll try to come up with tutorials as often as possible.

So here's one that's not-so crafty and more-so homey.

Make-It-Yourself Environmentally Friendly Multi-surface Cleaner for cheap (like 2 dollars cheap):

Notice how I changed it to "Em Works"? Yeah. Cause I'm witty like that.


So first off, you're going to need a spray bottle with a mist setting. I used the bottle that the expensive brand of all natural home cleaner came in... and I shall never go back to that stuff. If you need to buy a spray bottle, you can find them at the Dollar store or any gardening store.

Then you're going to need to collect your ingredients:


Don't you just love my retro vinyl counter tops?

Hydrogen Peroxide- Safe to have around food, kills germs. Win. -$2 for the whole bottle. I also use it to whiten my teeth. Love this stuff.
White Vinegar- Kills germs. -$4 for the entire jug, so I used maybe 50 cents worth.
Essential Oil- Makes it smell better than just vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide. - This is the fancy stuff that I get directly from an organic plantation in Bali, but you can get essential oils for like $5 a bottle. My few drops would probably be about 10 cents worth.
All-natural dish soap- I have yet to figure out how to make my own. If anyone has a recipe, I would love to try it! - $3 for the whole bottle, so maybe 10 cents for the tiny squirts.

Now to mix it all together.
Squeeze a couple of squirts of the dish soap into the bottom of the spray bottle. Add a few drops of essential oil (the more you add, the more scent it will have. I don't mind the vinegary smell, so I only add a few drops per batch). Pour in about 2/3rds of a 500 ml bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and then fill the rest with vinegar.

Shake shake shake. Shake shake shake. Shake your cleaner. Shake your cleeeeaaaaner.

Now you can use this on your kitchen counters, stove (especially nice since if you get it on your element burners it doesn't smell like death when you turn your stove on the next time), inside your microwave, on your bathroom surfaces, on the floor, on your glass coffee table, inside your fridge... the list goes on and on.

I spray this stuff all over my kitchen, leave it for a minute (especially if I have delicious dried-on gunk on the stove) and then go ahead and wipe it away. It seriously takes care of EVERYTHING.
When I have pans with crud burnt on to them, I dust a little bit of baking soda on them and then spray them with this, leave them over night, and the burnt crap all just lifts away.

It is my miracle. It makes cleaning the kitchen not a giant chore. It makes cleaning the bathroom not a giant chore. It makes cleaning not a giant chore.

So for around TWO DOLLARS for the entire bottle (which even with my addiction to the stuff lasts for like four months) you've got almost every cleaner you could ever possibly need.

Try it out and let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment