Saturday, 23 November 2013

Buy it or DIY it: Lace Appliqué Shoes

Whilst on the hunt for my wedding shoes, I came across these gorgeous lace appliqué shoes:


They're from Walkinonair on Etsy. They carry them in tonnes of colours, different styles and heel heights, and every size, perfect for matching your wedding theme and personal style!

Too bad they're $72 before you add on the shipping and handling...

So I decided to make them myself!
This is one of the easiest DIY's ever, so if you're worried about screwing them up, don't be!


Here's what you'll need:


1.  Spray adhesive- super useful, so I happened to have some on hand, but you can get it at just about any hardware store for about $5 a can.
2. Shoes- these are purple suede flats, but you could use pretty much any shoe you want. I found mine on eBay for $16.
3. Lace appliqués- make sure that they'll fit on your shoes somewhere (about an inch wide at their widest point should fit.) You could have different colours, but I liked that these made my shoes a little more... 'bridal.' Again, I found them on eBay for $4.
So all total, my supplies cost just $25.

So now that you've acquired the necessary items, let's glue this bitch!

First, head outside. Spray adhesive has a lot of angry looking ~*DANGER*~ symbols on the can, and whenever something I work with has fire and an exploding skull on it, I take it outside. That makes it automatically safe.



Second, put something on the ground that you're okay with getting spray adhesive on.


Like this fancy deconstructed Life Cereal cardboard box. High tech.

Next, play with the placement of your appliqués.



Now figure out which side is the back of the appliqué and mist it with adhesive. Seriously. Mist. No need to soak it, this spray glue is strong-like-bull! A little bit goes a long way.



Now wait a couple of seconds for the glue to get tacky and then REALLY EFFING CAREFULLY (because this glue will make suede shoes ugly if it gets on a spot it's not supposed to be on) place the appliqué on your shoe wherever you decide you want it. Push down on any bits that are sticking up to make sure they adhere.



Repeat on the other shoe.

Leave them to dry.

Pose them and take a bajillion photos of how frigging pretty they are.





Now wear them to boogy the night away!

No comments:

Post a Comment